File Path
jerry_ys
2005-07-21 20:10:03 UTC
using the package wizard i create a package to cd for distribution. my problem
is that one of my files is a prebuilt data file that needs to be included in
the
distribution, but the receipient has the option to select a different load
library
thereby changing the actual path that is in the program itself.
any suggestions. i'm using trhe std. setup option in the wizard.
thanks
MikeD
2005-07-22 01:50:37 UTC
Post by jerry_ys
using the package wizard i create a package to cd for distribution. my problem
is that one of my files is a prebuilt data file that needs to be included in
the
distribution, but the receipient has the option to select a different load
library
thereby changing the actual path that is in the program itself.
any suggestions. i'm using trhe std. setup option in the wizard.
thanks
If I understand correctly, and assuming you mean VB6's Package and
Deployment Wizard, install the file to $(AppPath)\FileName.ext. This will
copy the file to whatever folder the user chooses to install the app to. I
have no idea what you mean by "different load library", though.

If the above suggestion doesn't help, post again, but this time explain
things in a little more detail (actually, a lot more detail).
--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic
jerry_ys
2005-07-23 18:28:04 UTC
Mike, sorry for confusion and thanks.
yes using VB6's Package and Deployment Wizard. there is so little
documentation on this. i do not fully understand the macro
$(AppPath)\FileName.ext. by apppath
do they mean the path that the user selects to place the product into during
actual install?
"different load library", i'm using ibm mainframe terminology here, sorry.
stated in a different way, hope it makes sense here it is. i'm installing
product
using cd that was created with the install wizard. i'm given the option by the
installation process to select my own destination to place the install on my
computer, or take the default. in the product's code itself is a fixed path
to a
specific file that is provided with this product and it assumes the default
destination on the users computer. if user accepts defaults no problem since
program opening file will find it just where it's supposed to be. but, if user
selects different destination for install pgm will never find file along path
that was coded in the application itself.
let's say a have a program and all it's files are contained in the following
path, which is coded in the pgm. c:\newappname\allfiles\specificfile.dat
now i create these files and they reside in this place. i now begin to
create my
distribution using the wizard. i use add files option in the wizard to
specify the specificfile should be included as part of the install package.
everything good so
far.
now i test this distribution and find that specificfile.dat did not end up
on the user
computer with the path above that is coded into the program and big problem
arises. file not found. one solution is to use a path originally as it will
end up in the wizard by default install, but if user installing takes the
option to change the path
for install the problem occurs again. file not found. this is my question,
how to
use these macros to be able to have wizard install the file where i want and
to match the path hardcoded in the program? i hope i have not overdone the
amount
of extra detail, but hope more that it is clear enough.
i know that one can do some modifications on the actual wizard, but that seems
like a lot of work to accomplish such a simple task. (not part of original
question, but the default install screen is so plain and cheap looking, is
there a real quick
way to replace it with one of your own, without any new functionality, or
anything? just to make it diffrent graphically, color, headings, few logos
etc .
thank you for your interest Mike. i think our paths have crossed again. hope
to hear
from you.